TPB

The first stage in the city was already opened in the XVII and XVIII century as the school theatre in the Jesuit College in Bydgoszcz (the present town hall at Jezuicka Street). The theatre stage was later used by different drama groups despite the fact that the Jesuit Order was dissolved under Prussian rule. It was not until 1824 that the theatre performances were moved to the north bank of the River Brda, called Gdańskie Przedmieście. The theatre was located in the former church of the Carmelites which was closed down by the Prussians. In 1895 thanks to imperial subsidies the monumental building was erected according to the design of the outstanding German architect Christian Heinrich Seeling.

Teatr Polski was established as the city theatre in 1920. It was seated (after early performances, among other places, in Pacer's restaurant) in this impressive, a technically well-equipped (with a revolving stage) building.

After the Second World War the local authorities have decided to tear down a seriously burnt building at the present Theatre Square. In 1945-49 the theatre was seated, first in German open-air theatre "Elisium" and then in the building at Grodzka Street where the small stage was opened until 1988.

 

In the autumn of 1949 a new building was erected largely thanks to the dedication of the city's inhabitants. The designer of the building was Alfred Licznerski.

On June 28th 2000, by the decision of the Town Council, Teatr Polski in Bydgoszcz was named after Hieronim Konieczka - an actor, director and the organizer of numerous and significant cultural activities in the city.

 

  

 

teatrpolski.pl/files/File/teatr polski.jpg

teatrpolski.pl/files/File/teatr polski - front(1).jpg

poleďż˝ artykuďż˝ wersja do druku